This holiday I got to spend some time with my oldest grandson, Gordon, as he shared his gemstone collection with me. We did an exercise to find stones to which I felt a connection, and then he created a charm to hang in my home. Initially targeted for my bedroom, I think I’ll hang it in my studio for now. I was especially interested in selecting stones that had a calming, relaxing effect; stones promoting good heath; and especially for the studio, stones supporting the act of creating.
The Process: I stood, with eyes closed (so as to not be affected by color) holding a string of one type of gemstone, quieted my mind, and checked to see if I felt any energy or difference while holding the stones. Some of them I could hardly tolerate touching, their energy was ‘prickly’. While holding some of them I would take deep breaths and relax, or feel energized. Slowly we made our way thru most of his collection. Among the surprises: I grew up in Arizona and have always thought, I especially liked turquoise but it turns out I like malachite much better. This process of “feeling” stones went on for a couple of days as I found quiet times to sit and evaluate the collected gems and chose the ones that had the strongest positive feeling.
Gordon then set about to design the charm. The stones resisted the traditional grid structure and instead formed the central shape you see above. Gordon reproduced the shape in silver, weaving the stones into the design. Here are the stones I picked and some of the attributes associated with them.
- Pietersite: the four larger stones on the outside of the shape are associated with three chakras (sacral, solar plexus, and brow or 3rd eye). Pietersite increases energy of personal will and intuitive abilities.
- Tiger’s Eye: starting at the left of the charm, Tiger’s Eye is associated with three chakras (Root, Sacral, and Solar Plexus). A stone of luck and good fortune, It also builds up skill and knowledge, promoting health, balance and connection to the natural world.
- Green Aventurite: the second row from the left, this stone is associated with the heart chakra. Green Aventurite is thought to be one of the luckiest crystals, bringing prosperity, connection to the earth and enhancing creativity.
- Malachite: my favorite stone in the center row is also associated with the heart chakra. It brings protection against pollutants and guards against types of radiation. (Did I mention I ‘cook’ wax and work with pigments?)
- Peridot: there are two types of peridot on the left side of the charm (no, I don’t remember what kinds). They are both associated with the heart chakra and bring awareness and growth, helping to recognize/ realize one’s destiny and spiritual purpose.
I hope you had a lovely holiday and are looking forward to a wonderful new year!